1969 Classic Hydrodyne Flatop
Probably the ONLY 45 mph Wheelchair-Friendly Speedboat available without having something custom-built new! Pushed by 160 hp MerCruiser with a Chevy Inline 6 cylinder, starts in seconds, idols like a kitten, with a gentle roar that sounds like the deep rumble of a lion purring as you rev it up! Flies across the water and slices through chop as though it was nonexistent.
Argued by enthusiastists & Ski Clubs that Hydrodynes are among the best boats ever made. Designed by Bill Crosby, the Godfather of modern fiberglass power boating. Reportedly most 1970's NASA Apollo Astronauts reportedly owned one.
Had inspected by classic boat expert (owner of Shipwreck's in Princeton, Minnesota). Hull is solid, probably one of the last surviving of this unique model in such good condition. (Upper deck has slightly soft spot under Livewell)
Use As-Is or implement any or all Planned Goals (Not yet completed)
- Add Intellisteer Wireless Steering Control $600
- Build (design complete) Wireless Controlled Linear Actuator for Throttle $500
- Build (design complete) Wireless Joystick for Wheelchair User to Captain Independently from Front of Vessel with interface plug for Power Wheelchair IOM Modules, allowing this to be controlled hands-free with a wheelchair head array or wheelchair joystick $500
- Repaint Deck White & Lower Hull Blue $150 - maybe Add new Faux Teak Decking
- Add 4 Removable Swiveling Captains-Style Guest Seats $400-$800
- Add integrated fold-down Wheelchair Ramp (already designed) hinge purchased $250
- Add Wheelchair Tiedowns or used EZ-Lock $30-$250
- Increase front railing strength & stability adding curved nose & connect to rear rail $25-$100
- Remove Oxidation from Aluminum Railings and Seal $25
- Consider replacing Helm with a Swing Away Instrament Cluster $100
- Add Front Bimini Top to Shade All $100-$400
Mark Felling, founder of Broadened Horizons and Director of Inclusive Adventures discovered this gem researching alternatives to a Pontoon Boat for wheelchair users. But with his focus on Inclusive Adventures three larger projects he donated this to help fund those projects: Possibilities Greatly Motor Yacht and eCharioteer Tesla-Powered Wheelchair Motorcycle and the Able Eagle. We are hoping to find it a home where someone can complete her.